Sunday, January 17, 2010

Working on our Imaginations



While we were out for dinner the other night, I was admiring the picture that was in front of me (while I was TRYING not to pay attention to the teens in front of me) and had an idea. The boy’s have great imaginations, but they only use it in play so I thought, if the opportunity arose, that I would get them to make up a story off of that picture.


Of course, if you have EVER been out with our family you know that the opportunity did come at the end of the meal. The boys were done (well Daniel refused to eat that night) and we were getting ready to leave but they (the boys) were being VERY loud. So I said, “look at that picture and tell us a story only using the images you see there”. David sat there wide-eyed at the picture and then said. “I got it.” He told us a lovely story using the picture as his guide.

After David was done Daniel said, rather loudly, “My turn!” and he spouted off his little tell. He stayed within the rules but it was more about the trees & the water than the people & crane.

Then the boys said “Daddy, it is your turn” so Joey took his turn. I got a turn but by that time the new had worn off & they were bored, phew!

So I was thankful that I got to turn a situation that could have caused a scene into something fun, entertaining, & educational all at the same time. Yay me!! :)

1 comment:

geauxcory said...

Great idea mom! Boys tend to have the wildest imaginations. Or at least my brother did. I'll have to try that when Landry gets a little older. Right now I enjoy just listening to her "read" a book. The expression she uses is wonderful.